Saturday, October 31, 2009

Attack of the Leg Cramp

My legs have been achey in the middle of the night, but early this morning a charlie horse cramp in my calf woke me right up. Due to my "Ow &*%^ ow" I also woke up my dear Jesse (sorry hun). After flexing my foot and rubbing my calf  for a minute it went away, but it did scare the crap out of me since I was in a sound sleep. Apparently this is quite common in the 2nd and 3d trimester. It is caused by my growing uterus' extra weight, and it putting pressure on my blood vessels that return blood from my legs to my heart and the nerves leading to my legs. I think I will try the football player's remedy and eat some banana before I go to bed, and make sure I am drinking lots of H2O.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon! This is Courtney's friend Jen. I had the same problem when I was pregnant. I was hydrating all day long and I would still get these horrific cramps in the middle of the night. They were so bad, I could barely walk the next day. The best thing to do is as soon as you feel it coming on, flex your calf for 30 seconds. It will stop the pain right away. Hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drink a cup of coconut water before bed. You can also take liquid calcium-magnesium before bed and that should do the trick. :)

    ReplyDelete